Friday, 18 January 2013

Going!


Pray for safe travel and protection over the rest of the year

My next Matt’s Matters will be sent from a country far north from South Africa, a country that is not heard of by many, a country that needs the gospel as much as we do. That country is called Benin.
The last few weeks I have been readying myself to depart this Sunday (20th of January). I have been sent off in prayer and go with the strength and courage God will provide. Grace Baptist Church commissioned me this last Sunday (13th of January) and TWR commissioned me on Wednesday (16th of January) at their staff meeting.

The day draws nearer now and weighing everything into 46 kg is not easy, small things that weigh a lot fit nicely while big things that are lite don’t fit… and then there is the useless baggage (not emotional) that encases the smallest tool or weighs twice the amount of the tool… all great fun when you packing for six months and don’t want to leave any essentials behind… like a fishing rod and binoculars.

Martial eagle seen in KNP
Last week I was fortunate enough to spend the week along the banks of the Letaba River in the KNP. I was there for the annual pre-trail meeting, where all the guides getting together and discuss the last season trails, get a refreshers course on medical, tracking and shooting. Time was well spent and I took the time to acclimatize to the heat which will be greater in Benin. Checking up on the weather in Parakou, Benin, it was cooler than the lowvelds summer highs of 45⁰C degrees but warmer than Johannesburg’s summer high of 29⁰C. Go check it out at Weather in Parakou. Apart from the great weather and company, I reminisced about the trails I had done and it was good to see what I had made my life of for the last seven years and knowing where I was going to excited me, despite having to leave such a marvelous place. I may now just have to dig into my archives to find pictures of elephants now.

The next step is around the corner. My flight leaves on Sunday the 20th of January at 10h15 am, if all goes well I will be in Cotonou, Benin around 15h15, head to the SIM guesthouse in cotonou and on the Monday make the 400km journey up to Parakou by bus. It is in Parakou where I will be based and do my work from.



Prayer requests to consider:
    • God’s Mercy as I travel, and that all that I pack with I will be able to unpack there.
    • As I adapt to understanding the Benin culture and learn their language.
    • Building relationships, as I begin the work, relationship are important in getting the job done and learning the language.
    • Protection against any opposition to my mission either spiritually or physically.

No comments:

Post a Comment