| Open forest stretch along the non-perennial stream |
Green-headed Sunbird (Cyanomitra verticalis); This sunbird confines itself to the riparian forest on the property and fairly common within it. Move away from the riparian forest and you'll find mainly Scarlet-Chested (Chalcomitra senegalensis), Coppery (Cynnyris cuprea) and occasional Pygmy (Hedydipna platura) Sunbirds. Unlike the dullness of other female sunbirds, the female Green-headed sunbird resembles the male slightly with a green cap and is easily identified. The male has a iridescent green headed extending onto his chest and the back of his head.
Variable (Yellow-bellied) Sunbird (Cinnyris venustus); This sunbird took me a while to identify, baffled by, what I thought was a White-bellied sunbird. However being so far away from its distribution the bird with a white belly, purplish-green band across the breast and iridescent throat. It was only when I read that the Variable Sunbird belly colour is, well, variable in colour depending on location. The White-belly being prominent within the Dohagomy gap region. This sunbird although present is not an easy find around here.
Balck-Crowned Night-Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax); This was a great sighting this last week. The previous week when I had stayed out at Lake Bature, I had seen large heron like birds flying around after dusk, one could just make out their contrasting figures in the fading light. this baffled my and started to think European Bittern (Botauras stellaris), as it is that time of year when the european migrants start heading north. This happen for both evenings I was there and thought if it were a stop over why hadn't it been a once off event. it was only when while working near the cottage at lake Bature did I get my answer. I flushed a Black-Crowned Night-heron out of its roosting spot in the trees below the dam. Clear as daylight the figure of its flight matched up to the figure of the birds that had come flying in to the dam early evening.
Other species of interest around Serarou: African Cuckoo (Cuculus clamosus)
Grasshoper buzzard (Butastur rufipennis)
Jacobin's Cukoo (Clamator jacobinus)
Green Sandpiper (Tringa ochropus)
No comments:
Post a Comment